Some of the inhabitants of the classroom windowsills have made the transfer from the sills to the 4TB. The running beans as mama H calls them have come home. These are scarlet emperor and painted lady. I think there were 20 of each sown; and at least that many have come through. Prior to the weekend, these had only just entered the universe; raising their heads they were very alien like. And beyond the warm bank holiday, they have taken off quite a bit.
As well as these, sunflowers for the The big sunflower project have also come home. These too are growing strongly. I’m concerned that perhaps these may get too big and need potting on or planting out soon. I’m hoping that if they harden off nicely in the next couple of weeks, they may make a further transfer to the plot. I’ve never grown sunflowers, never mind giant ones.
Then there are the tomatos. Some rather sadly, sulky looking things that need some love. They weren’t getting very much love and affection in the classroom, or sunlight for that matter. I forget now, exactly when they were sown; but I’ve never seen tomatos so small and need of such a pep talk. I couldn’t tell you what they were either. I didn’t label them!
There is still a lot on the window sills. I made a sowing of kelevdon wonder pea and some petite pois. The ones on the plot haven’t shown up yet. The sweetcorn is an interesting specimen. I have four babies, with another four trying to germinate. The sweetcorn looks likes what the Leeks need to eventually. Fattened up and pencil thick. Will be interesting to see if that comes off.
Squashes and cucumbers are increasingly more more triffid like. Most of which are now onto their first proper leaf. There is a waiting game with these. To harden off and plant out before the end of may with the next bank holiday.
Yours in anticipation,
Composting shouldn’t be challenging, but I do find it challenging. Mostly as there is a habit to be started and then maintained. I found it very difficult to maintain last year. This year is about making it work. There is a kitchen caddy as well, so we can continue to compost suitable kitchen waste. Yesterday, as the weather was fine, Pops mowed the lawn. Today, off I trundled to the plot with a wheelbarrow of grass clippings and shredded paper. There are simple rules as to how and what you should put into compost, all predicated on layers of brown and green. The daleks were both filled with grass clippings layered with shredded paper. All being well, the daleks will continued to be fed. It is true what is said about the grass clippings being hot, they were certainly very warm to touch as they were piled into the daleks.
A tip given to me today by an allotment neighbour, was that if you are growing runner beans; mulch them with grass clippings to nitrogenise the soil. Not sure if this works, so answers on a post card for that please.
Some peas were sown out today, but not many. A handful of petite pois and kelvedon wonder pea were sown directly by way of experimentation. There is a possibility that I might soak some peas and then perhaps plant out once they have chitted. I would like to see however, if these come. These were sown by the netting that bisects the plot and also by the bean/pea netting. I will leave it a week or so perhaps, before I sow runner beans in modules. After this, there are always Dwarf French Beans to be sown as well.
Summer flowering bulbs were also sank today. I had last year thought about these, but perhaps didn’t action them as well as I could have. Especially as last year all that was cultivated was weeds and super slugs. The logic behind this was, that since squashes and others require pollinators, summer flowering bulbs would facilitate. Seeing as they were now appearing in the shops, off I pootled to a poundshop and found quite a few. There are a number below that were sown today, before I got brain freeze with sheer number. A second batch will be sunk at a later date. If you have any ideas about the lis below, that would be lovely hear. A handful of the winter pansies and primulas that were planted last autumn have been spotted, so not an entirely lost cause.
- Freesias double
- Mixed Liatris Spicala
- Oxalis Seppel
- Gladioli Mixed
- Purple Gladioli
- Anemone Mr.Fokker
- Gladioli Plum Tart
- Iris Purple sensation
- Mixed Sparaxis
- Anemone Hollandia
- Freesia Red Single
- Gladioli Tradehorn
- Gladioli Pink
….think I have enough gladioli….
Last year, I had also planted some dahlias. Sadly, with the rain and general misery last year, the tubers met their make and were eaten by the clay. A very demoralising event, and an expensive folly. The jury is out as to whether I would like to plant them again, I rather like the pom pom flower. I know that they are available in Wilkos, as well as a 99p shop!
In other news, Incredible sweetcorn has come through the surface of module dirt as have Crystal lemon and Femspot Cucumbers There are baby sunflowers also coming up.
On the subject of of sunflowers. May I introduce you to:
I heard about this from a fellow gardener and was rather intrigued. My seeds have just come through, and I will sowing very soon. All being well, I shall post what happens, so watch this space for that.
All to play for.
Yours in anticipation,